Camp at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park
San Francisco › Pfeiffer Big Sur Campground
Added by Lucas Pols
Pfeiffer Big Sur is one of the best camping locations for exploring Big Sur.
The campground at Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park offers a spectacular variety of natural settings to enjoy. Each of the 189 tent and RV sites is located within the redwood groves, oak woodlands, grassy meadows and they even have riverside camping.Each site has a picnic table, fire ring, access to drinking water, restrooms and showers.
The campground is situated in the best location for visiting the surrounding attractions. It is twenty minutes to both Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park and Bixby Bridge and is minutes away from the infamous Pfeiffer Beach.
This campground is one of the most popular in the nation. Some weekends are reserved seven months in advance. Make sure you are planning accordingly! For a Monday-Wednesday trip, you will have a much easier time booking a last minute trip.You can book at ReserveAmerica.com.
- Make sure you have cash on hand if you want to take a shower. Each 3 1/2 minutes is one dollar.
- Each campsite only holds 8 people and a max of two cars.
- It rains frequently so make sure to pack everything away at night.
- Bring your firewood. You cannot collect wood from the surrounding area, and they overcharge you in town.
- Big Sur is a tourist trap. If you forget to bring something or if you have to fill up your gas tank in the town it will cost you.
- Dogs are allowed in the campgrounds but not on the trails.
- There are numerous hiking trails walking distance from the campground.
- Poison Oak is all around. Stay out of the bushes!
- Camping Gear
- Full Tank of Gas
- Hiking Gear
- Rain equipment
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
Camping, Fitness, Photography
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
More Adventures Nearby
Hike through the Founder's Grove in Humboldt Redwoods State Park
San Francisco / Founders Grove Nature Trail
The Founder's Grove is easily accessed from Highway 101 in northern California. The grove is also on the Avenue of the Giants Scenic Highway.
Hike the Juniper Canyon, High Peaks, Tunnel Trail Loop in Pinnacles NP
San Francisco / Chaparral Trailhead Parking
Pinnacles National Park is located just over two hours outside of San Francisco (depending on the traffic).