Photograph Bixby Bridge
San Francisco › Bixby Bridge
Added by Lucas Pols
Before the Golden Gate Bridge, this was the bridge to photograph.
You can't miss this bridge if you are driving north on highway one.
The best time for capturing sunsets behind the bridge is December. The positioning of the sun will better coincide with the location of the bridge. There are four main angles to capture the bridge:
- The first two are up close on either side of the bridge-- behind the bridge, you will find a couple of small trails that will lead you down the hillside a bit get a better angle on the bridge
- The third is by taking the dirt road to right before it starts going downhill.
- The fourth is another far shot that will give the entire coastline along with a bit of the bridge. There are of course small variations to each shot!
Great place to photograph and certainly a worthwhile stop while in Big Sur
- 200mm lens if you plan on the far shots
- Wide Angle for close shots (24-70mm works great but you might be able to get some more diverse shots with a 16-35mm)
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
ReviewsLeave a Review
As Jacob mentioned in his review below the time of day definitely makes or breaks photographing this bridge. I don't have one good shot of my own simply because I've only been midday when the lighting was bad, making the bridge appear boring. Hard to capture the magic you see around it in person if you're not there for sunrise or sunset.
Great spot to photograph!
Don't limit yourself to the taking pictures from solely the area where people park. Walk across the main road and venture along the dirt road that climbs into the hills. You can get some great shots over there as well!
Lighting Is Key
Although this photogenic bridge is beautiful in person, a great picture is definitely about the timing of day/lighting. We drove the whole route early in the morning leaving me with a very foggy picture which made it unique, but something to think about!
Don't have to go far for a great shot
We stopped here briefly on our drive up Highway 1 and just stayed at the closest parking area. I got some great shots and didn't have to fight through many tourists to get them, so you don't have to go super far to get the shots!
More Adventures Nearby
Hike the Monte Bello Open Space Preserve Loop
San Francisco / Monte Bello Open Space Parking
This hike is best done in the late fall, winter, and spring so that the creek is running and the hills are green.
Hike Montgomery Woods State Nature Reserve Loop
San Francisco / Montgomery Woods SNR
This is a great find. We saw it on the map it was on the way from Mendocino to our next stop, Napa Valley. So glad we took the time to visit.