Explore Ravens Roost Overlook
Virginia › Ravens Roost Overlook
Added by Christin Healey
- Easy access off the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Beautiful (westward facing) views of the Blue Ridge Mountains and valley
- Close to local breweries and wineries
- Great picnic spot to catch a sunset after completing one of the many nearby hikes
- Popular climbing spot
- Iconic tree and rocky outcrops for photo ops
This cozy little overlook is very simple to get to. If you are coming from I 64, after taking exit 99 towards Shenandoah National Park, turn right onto the Blue Ridge Parkway when the exit comes to a "T-stop". From there, it's 10 miles down the Parkway on your right. You will see a clearly marked sign for Ravens Roost Overlook. There is plenty of parking, a few picnic benches, and lots of spots to stretch out and take in the view. Most people shoot the tree to the left of the tree, but I prefer to be on the right to get some depth going into the valley with the little river passing through. There are plenty of options and room for creativity though -- take your time with it as you will likely be one of the only photographers here if you go during the week. The A.T. and popular Humpback Rocks trail are within a few miles of this overlook.
- Please note this road is typically closed for winter and reopens in the early spring. I have hiked Humpback and gotten to this overlook in the winter, just plan accordingly as you are looking at 10 miles each way to hike in!
Chillin, Photography, Rock Climbing
Spring, Summer, Autumn
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
ReviewsLeave a Review
Perfect place to end the day
This overlook is amazing for sunset photography. I visited Ravens Roost Overlook after hiking to Shamokin Falls which is located about .15 miles down the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was the perfect spot to wrap up a fun day of hiking and the sunset was beautiful!
More Adventures Nearby
Hike the Red Rock Wilderness Overlook Loop
Virginia / Red Rock Wilderness Overlook
Red Rock Wilderness Overlook provides 60+ acres of trails to explore right in Leesburg, Virginia.
Hike the Lake Trail Loop at Hungry Mother SP
Virginia / Hungry Mother SP Parking Area (Lake Dr)
Hungry Mother State Park is located in the picturesque Blue Ridge Mountains in Southern Virginia.