Fly Fishing on the Putah
San Francisco › Putah Creek
Added by David Drake
- This creek has productive fishing from public access points
- There are good opportunities for both fly fishing and rod-and-reel fishing
- All fishing is catch and release
- You must use artificial flies and barbless lures
- Duration: full day
Putah Creek is a little over an hour drive from SF without traffic. The creek has flows beginning in April, which can reach up to 700cfs during the summer months. The creek begins to drop after September. Keep in mind that wet-wading isn't recommended until the river is under 300cfs. Most fly fisherman on this creek nymph with 5-7x (very light tippets), an indicator, and a 3 or 4 weight rod. Baetis and small caddis flies are good for fishing in the area.
- Fly Rod & Reel (3 or 4 weight)
- Tippets (5-7x)
- Waders (optional)
- Waterproof Boots for Waders (optional)
- Beer to celebrate a good day of fishing
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
More Adventures Nearby
Explore Navarro Beach
San Francisco / Navarro Beach
Northern California beaches are not your typical soft sand, warm water, grab a surf board type of spots.
Hike Along Mendocino Cliffs Trail
San Francisco / Mendocino Bay
The town of Mendocino is as charming and quaint as one can find. It is no wonder why it was pegged as the perfect location spot to film the series Murder She Wrote.