Backpack to Ruby Lake

4 miles 1000 ft gain  - Out-and-Back Trail

Added by Sarah Horn

Despite it being only a few miles in from the trailhead, the hike and camp destination will satisfy all of your alpine wishes.

At 10,200 feet, the trailhead (Little Lakes Valley) for Ruby Lake is one of the highest (if not the highest) in the Sierra. Meaning you get right to the heart of the mountains quickly. Ruby Lake itself is at 11,200 feet elevation.

How to get there: At Tom's Place off of Hwy 395, turn southwest into the range on the Rock Creek Road, head 10.5 miles until the road ends at Mosquito Flat.

You start the hike heading into Little Lakes Valley, with a view of Bear Creek Spire, Mount Morgan, Mount Dade and Mount Abbot. After about .5 miles, you'll hit a junction where you'll take the trail to the right heading up to Mono Pass.

Follow that for about 1.5 miles and you're at Ruby Lake. Easy! Now you can set up camp and chill or head farther up Mono Pass Trail or back down and into Little Lakes Valley.

There's tons to explore, climb, fish etc. in this area. This area is in the John Muir Wilderness and you'll need a permit to camp. The Forest Service reserves 60 percent for advanced reservations and the other 40 percent for walk-in available 24 hours before day of adventure.

Read More

Tags

Camping
Fishing
Photography
Backpacking
Hiking
Beach
Dog Friendly
Easy Parking
Family Friendly
Forest
Lake
Scenic
Wildflowers
Wildlife

Reviews

Leave a Review

Overall rating: 

đŸ„ˆ Contributor

over 4 years ago

Great hike!

I like using Ruby lake as a place to acclimate before heading over Mono Pass to Pioneer Basin or the Muir Divide. Beautiful scenery a short distance from the trailhead.

Stay Nearby

Rock Creek Road

Rock Creek Lake Group Camp

Overview Rock Creek Lake Group Campground is adjacent to the main Rock Creek Lake Campground. This tent-only site is located near Bishop, Tom's Place and Mammoth Lakes, California in Inyo National ...

Rock Creek Road

Rock Creek Lake

Overview This facility does not accept reservations.Recreation Rock Creek and other waterways in the eastern Sierra Nevada Mountains are known for exceptional trout fishing. A catch from the lake m...

Rock Creek Road

Aspen Group (Inyo)

Overview Aspen Group Campground is a secluded, creek side camp in Inyo National Forest between Mammoth Lakes and Bishop, California. The group camping area is primitive and provides spectacular sce...

Tuff Campground Road

Tuff Campground

Overview Tuff Campground is situated along Rock Creek in the scenic Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. It is convenient to Tom's Place and U.S. Highway 395.At an elevation of 7,000 ft., it is l...

Nearby Adventures

  • Hike Morgan Pass to 7 Scenic Lakes

    Take the 395 North for 20 miles past Bishop and make a left on Rock Creek Road. Follow this road for 10 miles until you reach the free parking area at the Mosquito Flats Trailhead. Even on a holiday weekend, finding parking wasn’t a problem. The t...

    10 miles

  • Fish for a Sierra Grand Slam in Little Lakes

    Access to this relatively mellow (for the Sierras) trail can be reached via Rock Creek Road off of Highway 395, north of the town of Bishop, California. Following Rock Creek road southwest until its terminus will take you directly to the parking l...

  • Hike to Little Lakes Valley in the John Muir Wilderness

    The Little Lakes Valley located in the John Muir Wilderness provides easy access to spectacular views of High Sierra peaks as well as a long list of beautiful alpine lakes.The area is accessed via the Mono Pass Trail starting from Mosquito Flat/Li...

    3.2 miles 300 ft gain

  • Hike Mosquito Flat to Morgan Lakes

    This trail is best hiked from July through October, due to high levels of snow at elevation in the Sierras. Dogs are allowed in this area.  Mosquito Flat Campground is at the very end of the road - right past Rock Creek Lake off of Rock Creek Road...

    10.7 miles 1725 ft gain