Hike Weverton Cliffs Overlook from Harpers Ferry

8.2 miles 925 ft gain

Added by Melissa Seely

Great day hike from Harpers Ferry! Gives you a taste of the AT. 75% is flat, and you will work hard for the other 25% with some elevation gain. The view from the top of Weverton Cliffs is incredible, perfect place to stop for a snack. Grab a beer in Harpers Ferry after you finish!

Parking and trail head: Park at the Harpers Ferry Visitors Center for $10 (171 Shoreline Dr, Bolivar, WV 25425) and take the shuttle a mile and a half to lower town (free). 

Walk straight from the shuttle to the large bridge. Cross the bridge to hop on the C&O canal trail. This is the point where the C&O canal and Appalachian Trails converge. Turn right after the bridge (follow signs towards Brunswick and the AT). Take the C&O canal trail along the Potomac river ~3 miles from the shuttle stop. Turn left just before the 31 mile marker of the C&O canal to continue on the AT and up to the cliffs. Head up hill for another 1.1 miles and follow signs for the view of at the cliffs. You'll get around 900ft of gain in a little over a mile. Stop for a bite to eat and some pictures, then head back the way you came. Total distance will be around 8.2 miles from the shuttle stop. 

**make sure to check when the last shuttle leaves or you will be walking the extra mile and half back to your car!**

Note: There are no restrooms or facilities on these trails. There is no water. If you are going in the summer, bring PLENTY of water. You will get hot on the up hill. 

Read More

Tags

Photography
Running
Hiking
Easy Parking
Food Nearby
Forest
River
Wildflowers
Wildlife

Reviews

Leave a Review

Overall rating: 

Along the AT

Hiked through here as part of an AT section hike. My group really enjoyed this section, the overlook was awesome and we got to get some good pizza in town!

Historic Town With Beautiful Overlook

The trail and town were excellent. Many hikers and very family friendly

Stay Nearby

Harpers Ferry, West Virginia

Harpers Ferry / Civil War Battlefields KOA

Sharpsburg, Maryland

Rohrbach Group Campground

Overview Antietam National Battlefield is the site of the bloodiest one day battle in American history. After twelve hours of savage combat on September 17, 1862, 23,000 soldiers were killed, woun...

Williamsport, Maryland

Hagerstown / Antietam Battlefield KOA

Boyce, Virginia

Blue Hill Farm

Nestled against the backdrop of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Blue Hill Farm was built in 1895 and has been restored to a working farm. The emphasis on being eco-friendly and co-existing with nature is...

From $420/night

Nearby Adventures

  • Hike Maryland Heights via Harpers Ferry

    Parking and trail head: Park at the Harpers Ferry Visitors Center for $10 (171 Shoreline Dr, Bolivar, WV 25425) and take the shuttle a mile and a half to lower town (free).  Walk straight from the shuttle to the large bridge. Cross the bridge and ...

    4.2 miles 800 ft gain

  • Hike Maryland Heights Trail Loop

    Learn Civil War history as you hike through forts and read signs about the war.  Enjoy beautiful lookouts, including one with a great view of Harpers Ferry.  The 5.3 mile hike is relatively easy and offers an interesting opportunity to learn histo...

    5.3 miles 1600 ft gain

  • Hike to Maryland Heights

    Maryland Heights is at the convergence of Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia, as well as the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. The Appalachian Trail and C&O Canal Towpath are also easily accessible from the trailhead parking lot. The parking lo...

    2.8 miles 900 ft gain

  • Explore Potomac Wayside Park

    This is a small park along route 340 in Purcellville, Virginia near Harper's Ferry. After you have parked, look for the park sign which will be a few feet behind you. There is a trail that will take you down to the bottom of the waterfall and even...

    0.25 miles 75 ft gain