Photographing Little Sahara Recreation Area
Rate this Adventure Utah › Little Sahara Recreation Area
Added by Prajit Ravindran
60,000 acres of sand dunes, trails, and sagebrush flatsThe recreation area is about 12 miles long and 10 miles wideSand Mountain, a wall of sand climbing nearly 700 feetDark skies with awesome views of the Milky Way
- An old Nikon D80 that was converted into an infrared camera. The infrared camera can be used to create some unique images. The monochrome images that I uploaded were created with the IR camera.
- NIkon D7000. I used these for the night shots with milky way. The images were created using a high ISO (4000-6400 range) and about 15-20 sec shutter speed at f 2.8. This setting helped to capture the stars and milky way well.
- Mamiya RB-67: This was an old medium format film camera that I used to create the image of the red tree with the star trails. It was single 34 minute exposure. The red color on the tree is from a camp fire nearby. I use film for star trails since there is very little noise compared to digital cameras.
If you need a little help getting to Little Sahara, per Utah.com the entrance road to Little Sahara directions are outlined:
- 4 miles west of Jericho Junction
- From Nephi (west): 31 miles via SR 132 and Juab County Route 1812
- From Eureka (south): 18 miles on US 6
- From Delta (north): 34 miles on US 6
- Little Sahara is approximately 115 miles from Salt Lake City via Nephi
For specific geo-coordinates in the recreation area, check out duneguide.com.
- Plenty of water
- Dress in layers (the desert gets very cold at night)
- Camera (see description for exacts)
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Backpack Death Hollow in Grand Staircase-Escalante
Utah / Boulder Mail Trailhead
The most popular route into Death Hollow is from the Boulder airstrip near the town of Boulder, Utah.
Mountain Bike Amasa Back / Cliffhanger Trail
Utah / Amasa Back / Cliffhanger Trailhead
Amasa Back / Cliffhanger is the primary entry point into one of the most fantastic mountain biking trail networks in the Moab area, connecting into Captain Ahab, Rockstacker, HyMasa, and Jacksons Tra.