Photographing Little Sahara Recreation Area
Rate this Adventure Utah › Little Sahara Recreation Area
Added by Prajit Ravindran
60,000 acres of sand dunes, trails, and sagebrush flatsThe recreation area is about 12 miles long and 10 miles wideSand Mountain, a wall of sand climbing nearly 700 feetDark skies with awesome views of the Milky Way
- An old Nikon D80 that was converted into an infrared camera. The infrared camera can be used to create some unique images. The monochrome images that I uploaded were created with the IR camera.
- NIkon D7000. I used these for the night shots with milky way. The images were created using a high ISO (4000-6400 range) and about 15-20 sec shutter speed at f 2.8. This setting helped to capture the stars and milky way well.
- Mamiya RB-67: This was an old medium format film camera that I used to create the image of the red tree with the star trails. It was single 34 minute exposure. The red color on the tree is from a camp fire nearby. I use film for star trails since there is very little noise compared to digital cameras.
If you need a little help getting to Little Sahara, per Utah.com the entrance road to Little Sahara directions are outlined:
- 4 miles west of Jericho Junction
- From Nephi (west): 31 miles via SR 132 and Juab County Route 1812
- From Eureka (south): 18 miles on US 6
- From Delta (north): 34 miles on US 6
- Little Sahara is approximately 115 miles from Salt Lake City via Nephi
For specific geo-coordinates in the recreation area, check out duneguide.com.
- Plenty of water
- Dress in layers (the desert gets very cold at night)
- Camera (see description for exacts)
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Camp on Smithsonian Butte Road
Utah / Smithsonian Butte Road
Smithsonian Butte Road (and Smithsonian Butte & Wire Mesa) is an excellent place to camp & boondock near Zion National Park, particularly if you do not have a 4WD vehicle and/or there has just been s.
Backcountry Ski USA Bowl
Utah / Old Stage Road Trail
To get the the trailhead, drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon until you reach the upper entrance into Solitude Ski Resort. You can park on the road just below the entrance to the resort.