Photographing Little Sahara Recreation Area
Rate this Adventure Utah › Little Sahara Recreation Area
Added by Prajit Ravindran
- 60,000 acres of sand dunes, trails, and sagebrush flats
- The recreation area is about 12 miles long and 10 miles wide
- Sand Mountain, a wall of sand climbing nearly 700 feet
- Dark skies with awesome views of the Milky Way
What I used:
- An old Nikon D80 that was converted into an infrared camera. The infrared camera can be used to create some unique images. The monochrome images that I uploaded were created with the IR camera.
- NIkon D7000. I used these for the night shots with milky way. The images were created using a high ISO (4000-6400 range) and about 15-20 sec shutter speed at f 2.8. This setting helped to capture the stars and milky way well.
- Mamiya RB-67: This was an old medium format film camera that I used to create the image of the red tree with the star trails. It was single 34 minute exposure. The red color on the tree is from a camp fire nearby. I use film for star trails since there is very little noise compared to digital cameras.
If you need a little help getting to Little Sahara, per Utah.com the entrance road to Little Sahara directions are outlined:
- 4 miles west of Jericho Junction
- From Nephi (west): 31 miles via SR 132 and Juab County Route 1812
- From Eureka (south): 18 miles on US 6
- From Delta (north): 34 miles on US 6
- Little Sahara is approximately 115 miles from Salt Lake City via Nephi
For specific geo-coordinates in the recreation area, check out duneguide.com.
- Plenty of water
- Dress in layers (the desert gets very cold at night)
- Camera (see description for exacts)
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Catch a Sunset at Green River Overlook
Utah / Green River Overlook
Turn right on Highway 313 after Mesa Arch Trailhead and follow the road past Willow Flat Campground to Green River Overlook. Park at the parking lot. Climb over the railing onto the rock edge.
Camp up Murdock Basin Road
Utah / Murdock Basin Road
Murdock Basin Road is located about 22 miles up Mirror Lake Highway (UT-150) from Kamas, UT.