Photographing Little Sahara Recreation Area
Rate this Adventure Utah › Little Sahara Recreation Area
Added by Prajit Ravindran
60,000 acres of sand dunes, trails, and sagebrush flatsThe recreation area is about 12 miles long and 10 miles wideSand Mountain, a wall of sand climbing nearly 700 feetDark skies with awesome views of the Milky Way
- An old Nikon D80 that was converted into an infrared camera. The infrared camera can be used to create some unique images. The monochrome images that I uploaded were created with the IR camera.
- NIkon D7000. I used these for the night shots with milky way. The images were created using a high ISO (4000-6400 range) and about 15-20 sec shutter speed at f 2.8. This setting helped to capture the stars and milky way well.
- Mamiya RB-67: This was an old medium format film camera that I used to create the image of the red tree with the star trails. It was single 34 minute exposure. The red color on the tree is from a camp fire nearby. I use film for star trails since there is very little noise compared to digital cameras.
If you need a little help getting to Little Sahara, per Utah.com the entrance road to Little Sahara directions are outlined:
- 4 miles west of Jericho Junction
- From Nephi (west): 31 miles via SR 132 and Juab County Route 1812
- From Eureka (south): 18 miles on US 6
- From Delta (north): 34 miles on US 6
- Little Sahara is approximately 115 miles from Salt Lake City via Nephi
For specific geo-coordinates in the recreation area, check out duneguide.com.
- Plenty of water
- Dress in layers (the desert gets very cold at night)
- Camera (see description for exacts)
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Hike to Horse Collar Ruin at Natural Bridges National Monument
Utah / Natural Bridges Visitor Center
Natural Bridges National Monument is one of Utah's many geologic wonders.
Explore the Sand Dunes in Snow Canyon State Park
Utah / Snow Canyon State Park Sand Dunes
To get to Snow Canyon State Park from St George, you take Bluff Street heading north until you reach the Snow Canyon Parkway exit that heads west.