Hike and Climb the S. Ridge of Mt. Superior
Utah › Mt. Superior Trailhead (south ridge)
Added by Jacob Moon
Distance: 4.5 miles round tripElevation Gain: 1800 feetDuration: 2-4 hours to summit. 2-3 hours downStunning Views of the Wasatch MountainsFun scrambling and short sections of low 5th class climbing, short approach, long climb
Approach: Start by parking on the side of the road just above the Snowbird Cliff Lodge. Then there will be some bushwhacking as you work your way up the southern slopes of Mount Superior following the path of least resistance until reaching the winter avalanche path under the south face and to the left of the ridge (as shown in one of the pictures above). From the avalanche path continue up and left toward the first plausible access point to the ridge that doesn't have bushes and trees to block your ascent. Then continue up and left angling toward a large water spout structure to gain the ridge (3rd class).
Route Description: From the large water spout structure the route is simple and straight forward. Stay as close as possible to the ridge proper until reaching the summit. The ridge starts off broad but quickly narrows down to a few knife edge sections with airy 3rd-4th class hiking/climbing mixed in with some short 5th class sections up higher on the ridge.
Descent: Follow the East Ridge trail over to Cardiff pass and descend down to the road then walk down the road back to your vehicle (click here for more detail)Warnings:
- Due to the relative ease of the climbing, many climbers will opt to solo the route instead of taking the proper technical gear required to protect themselves from a fall, but the ridge is extremely exposed and loose rock will be encountered. Good judgement of one's personal skills and comfort level is required
- This route may have snow on it during the spring and into early summer. It is recommended to drive up to the Alta Ski Resort parking lot to get a good view of the ridge. Snow will make the route more difficult and may change what kind of gear you should bring (ice axe, crampons etc..)
- Approach Shoes (climbing shoes not recommended)
- A Short Rope
- A set of nuts and a hand full of slings
- Climbing clothes (or hiking clothes)
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
Hiking, Rock Climbing
Spring, Summer, Autumn
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
ReviewsLeave a Review
Real deal scramble
Several possible routes exist, Strava has a good map of the better route. We ascended along the 'knife-edge' ridge on Strava, but there were a couple sections we thought would be riskier down-climbing on the way back. So we opted to go down the open valley east of the route; lots of loose rock and maybe just as challenging, so choose whatever you prefer!
More Adventures Nearby
Hike to Horse Collar Ruin at Natural Bridges National Monument
Utah / Natural Bridges Visitor Center
Natural Bridges National Monument is one of Utah's many geologic wonders.
Explore the Sand Dunes in Snow Canyon State Park
Utah / Snow Canyon State Park Sand Dunes
To get to Snow Canyon State Park from St George, you take Bluff Street heading north until you reach the Snow Canyon Parkway exit that heads west.