Camp by the Spiral Jetty
Utah › Spiral Jetty
Added by Prajit Ravindran
The Spiral Jetty is massive land art created by artist Robert Smithson. The Jetty is an old oil rig that serves as a great prop for landscapes. This area provides dark skies and a good view of the Milky Way. Getting to this spot is easy without a 4WD (although it helps).
This spot is pretty wild and barren. Head there with an open mind and be ready to have an amazing experience.Some things to look out for:
- The Spiral Jetty is land art itself
- There's a guest book, which is kept in a green bag under the rocks near the parking lot. This book has the invoice for the Spiral Jetty and the original and revised specs
- The oil rig. It’s big and can be used as an interesting prop
- A rusted metal ball the size of the red balls you see outside Target. The metal ball is half buried in the mud and has the drawing of an Alien on it
- Make sure you fill up gas near Corrine. There aren't any gas stations beyond that
- Warm clothing - it can get very cold at night during fall/winter
- Plenty of water
- Sleeping bag
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
Camping, Chillin, Hiking, Photography
Spring, Autumn, Winter
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
ReviewsLeave a Review
Fun place to camp!
I camped out here in May with a bunch of friends and it was a blast! The water was really low so it was about a quarter mile out from the Jetty. We had a fire up by the parking lot and camped on the salt flats. I would definitely recommend floating in the Great Salt Lake if you feel that it's warm enough. It is an awesome experience! Just make sure you bring plenty of water to rinse off with when you're done. It's also a great place for sunset, sunrise, and star photography.
More Adventures Nearby
Camp on Smithsonian Butte Road
Utah / Smithsonian Butte Road
Smithsonian Butte Road (and Smithsonian Butte & Wire Mesa) is an excellent place to camp & boondock near Zion National Park, particularly if you do not have a 4WD vehicle and/or there has just been s.
Backcountry Ski USA Bowl
Utah / Old Stage Road Trail
To get the the trailhead, drive up Big Cottonwood Canyon until you reach the upper entrance into Solitude Ski Resort. You can park on the road just below the entrance to the resort.