Added by John Chau
Hike up and watch the sunset from Chapman's Peak, a stalwart promontory on the backside of Table Mountain that looks out upon the ocean, Noordhoek Beach, Hout Bay, and the Southern Cape Peninsula (including the communities of Noordhoek, Ocean View, Masiphumelele, Fish Hoek, and Kommetjie).
Starting from the trailhead on Chapman's Peak Drive (one of the most scenic drives in the world), simply follow the trail up as it gradually climbs up east toward a 4-junction. Take that first right at the junction and follow it as it heads south and then turns southwest. Stay on the trail as it climbs up to the summit of Chapman's Peak. There is a small scramble at the last 100 feet, but nothing too difficult. Stop by The Toad restaurant at the Noordhoek Farm Village for the best ribs and calamari ever.
- If you plan on watching the sunset, be sure to bring a flashlight/headlamp for the trek back.
- The road to the trailhead is a toll road when coming from Hout Bay, so bring at least 80 rand (R15-R40 each way)
- If you do this hike on a weekend, you can stop by the Hout Bay Market (Fri: 5pm-9pm, Sat & Sun 9:30am-4pm) afterwards and grab some amazing, freshly made organic food!
- Map and compass
- Sun protection (sunglasses, sunscreen, hat)
- Light windbreaker or jacket
- First-aid kit
- Leave an itinerary with your hostel or friends in the city
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Hike the Pipe Track
South Africa / Pipe Track
A favourite sunset walk for many Capetonians, the Pipe Track is a flat, easy out-and-back walk snaking along the contour line of the front side of Table Mountain and the Apostles.
Paraglide over Knysna
South Africa / Cloud Nine Hill
If driving the Garden Route on South Africa’s southern coast, the city of Knysna is a can’t miss.