Added by Pine Watt
- Incredible star gazing opportunity under the telescope domes of Lick Observatory
- Check out the Milky Way and explore the Observatory
- Arrive before 5pm to tour a telescope or arrive late at night to do some quality star gazing
Hop on Road 130 heading out of San Jose and follow the winding two lane road up, up, up to to the top of Mt. Hamilton and the Lick Observatory. There are lots of deer, wild turkey, and pigs in the area. If you are lucky you will get to see a herd of deer grazing in a meadow. But be careful that you don't hit any wildlife while driving up, especially at night.
The drive up to the Lick Observatory is a phenomenal drive with switchback curves and winding roads perched right on the edge of Mt. Hamilton. I would not recommend this drive for those who suffer from motion sickness, or at least take a few motion sickness pills before starting the drive.
- Jacket - it gets cold at the top of Mt. Hamilton
- Full tank of gas - Mt. Hamilton is 50 miles from the nearest gas station, and you don't want to be stranded there
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Camp at Juniper Campground in Mount Diablo State Park
San Francisco / Juniper Campground
Mount Diablo's summit in Mount Diablo State Park rises to 3,848ft. Juniper Campground in Mount Diablo State Park is set at approximately 3,000ft in elevation.
Photograph Trojan Point on Mount Tamalpais
San Francisco / Trojan Point
The endlessly scenic Trojan Point can be reached by taking the Panoramic Highway to Pantoll road from Stinson Beach to the west, or Mill Valley / Highway 1 to the east.