Added by Pine Watt
- Incredible star gazing opportunity under the telescope domes of Lick Observatory
- Check out the Milky Way and explore the Observatory
- Arrive before 5pm to tour a telescope or arrive late at night to do some quality star gazing
Hop on Road 130 heading out of San Jose and follow the winding two lane road up, up, up to to the top of Mt. Hamilton and the Lick Observatory. There are lots of deer, wild turkey, and pigs in the area. If you are lucky you will get to see a herd of deer grazing in a meadow. But be careful that you don't hit any wildlife while driving up, especially at night.
The drive up to the Lick Observatory is a phenomenal drive with switchback curves and winding roads perched right on the edge of Mt. Hamilton. I would not recommend this drive for those who suffer from motion sickness, or at least take a few motion sickness pills before starting the drive.
- Jacket - it gets cold at the top of Mt. Hamilton
- Full tank of gas - Mt. Hamilton is 50 miles from the nearest gas station, and you don't want to be stranded there
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Hike the Monte Bello Open Space Preserve Loop
San Francisco / Monte Bello Open Space Parking
This hike is best done in the late fall, winter, and spring so that the creek is running and the hills are green.
Hike Montgomery Woods State Nature Reserve Loop
San Francisco / Montgomery Woods SNR
This is a great find. We saw it on the map it was on the way from Mendocino to our next stop, Napa Valley. So glad we took the time to visit.