Cross-Country Ski at Lubrecht Experimental Forest
Rate this Adventure Montana › Lubrecht Experimental Forest
Added by Meredith Baird
A quick 30 minute drive from Missoula to beautiful Cross Country Ski trails! The best part- --it's dog friendly!
Lubrecht Experimental forest is owned and managed by both the College of Forestry & Conservation and the State of Montana Department of Natural Resources. The forest spans over 28,000 acres in the Blackfoot River drainage.
A local favorite, Lubrecht boasts 12.6 miles of cross country ski trails. Some of the loops overlap, vary in difficulty, and all of the trails are two-way. There are plenty of maps and arrows posted to keep you on the right loop. One can easily spend all day exploring the various loops and trails, each with hills ranging from easy to difficult, and enjoying the views of the tall trees, mountains and meadows!
The very best part of skiing at Lubrecht is that it's dog friendly! Dogs are permitted off-leash as long as they are under voice control and owners clean up after them.
There is an information board at the parking area where there is a suggested donation box of $2 per person or $5 per carpool. To find out current conditions and when the trail has most recently been groomed, visit missoulanordic.org and click on "snow grooming info" and "Lubrecht".Directions coming from Missoula:
- Take east on I-90 for approximately five miles and take Exit 109, the Bonner/Great Falls/Highway 200 Exit.
- Proceed east on Montana Highway 200 through Milltown and Bonner, Potomac at mile marker 16. Continue past mile marker 22 and the Garnet Range Road.
- Continue PAST the Garnet Range Road entrance for about 0.2 miles and look for the entrance sign to the Lubrecht Forest headquarters and Conference Center on the east (right) side of the highway.
- A few hundred feet beyond the timbered arch entry way, the road forks at log cabin.
- Turn right to reach the cross-country ski trailhead.
- Cash for a donation
- Snowshoes or Cross Country skis
- Layers- it can snow and turn into a sunny day within 20 minutes!
- Bear Spray
- Doggy Poop Bags
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Snowshoe to Holland Falls
Montana / Holland Falls TH
Drive on 83 through the swan until you reach the turnoff for Holland Lake. The lake, campground, ranger station, and trails are all very well marked throughout this adventure.
Hike to Emerald and Heather Lake
Montana / Emerald Lake Trail, MT
Once in Bozeman, Take 19th Ave. south to Hyalite Canyon Rd. Turn left and continue past Hyalite Reservoir; when the road splits, take the left fork toward Palisade Falls.