Added by Chaniel Nelson
- Star Island is the only lake in the WORLD that has a lake inside of a lake. Inside of Star Island is Lake Windigo. The island has been featured in "Ripley's Believe It or Not". You can literally fish on a lake, on an island, on a lake AND camp for free
- There are miles and miles of shoreline and trails to explore. Star Island has over eight miles of shoreline alone and a network of trails, approximately 6 miles worth; the island offers high banks and rolling hills, suitable for all ages
- A few popular hiking trails include O'niels point, and Inspiration Point. There are many trail signs as well The Chippewa National Forest manages the majority of the island; they are responsible for keeping the wild areas wild. The other areas of the island are privately owned
- Access to Star Island is by boat or canoe/kayak. The US Highway 2 rest area, which is east of the city of Cass Lake, provides free parking and a boat launch
- There is great Perch, Sunfish, and Crappie fishing right off of the beach, as well as from every corner of Lake Windigo
Star Island is located on Cass Lake in Northern Minnesota.
Camping on the island is a great experience, it is usually very secluded; it is not a remote location during the day, but after 6 pm, the island is usually empty besides the few (lucky) people that reside there during the summer months.
The campsite is located at the Southwest shore of the Island (see pin) - Star Island is visible from Hwy 2, it covers the western part of Cass Lake.
There are three portages into Star Island; on the north, south, and east sides. The shortest portage is on the north side.
Access to the island is usually via boat; rentals are available in the area, otherwise contact me on Instagram for a lift.
It is FREE to camp on the Island! There are designated campsites with picnic tables and fire rings, but I chose to sleep right on the beach in the sand.
Coordinates: 47.4181 N 94.5392 W
- Boat/transportation to the island
- Sleeping Bag
- Hiking/Running shoes
- Lighter (you can collect firewood on the island)
- Bug Spray - Mosquitoes are terrible between 9-10pm
- Water and or purifier
- Swim Suit
- Fishing Gear
- Optional: Good beer, Golden Retriever
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
Added by Chaniel Nelson
I'm Chaniel, I’m from Northern Minnesota and currently live here, although I am rarely home. Growing up in Minnesota I spent most of my time outside; fishing, skiing, wakeboarding, kayaking, paddle boarding, everything. I travel as often as I can, typically once a month -- usually anywhere with mountains. I also go to school full time online, I'm a mom to a two year old Golden Retriever, a bartender, a health nut, and an all around outdoor enthusiast.Follow
More Adventures Nearby
Hike to Britton Peak
Minnesota / Britton Peak Trailhead
This hike is very short and rewarding. It doesn't take longer than 15 minutes if you wanted to make it a quick pit stop before or after you hike Carlton Peak.
Hike to Ely's Peak
Minnesota / Ely's Peak Parking Area
Ely's Peak is located near the neighborhood of Gary-New Duluth. It is located right off of Becks Road. To get there from Grand Avenue you'll turn onto Becks Road.