Hike the Temescal Canyon Loop
Los Angeles › Temescal Canyon Trail
Added by Lucas Pols
Great leg burning cardio with incredible views and scenery of the Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, and the ocean!
There are a couple of different ways that you can hike in Temescal Canyon.
Options for Hiking Temescal Canyon:
- The basic loop – 2.6 miles
- The loop beginning from Temescal Canyon Trail at Sunset Boulevard – 3.4 miles
- The loop with the Bienveneda Trail extension – 3.25 miles
- The loop beginning from Temescal Canyon Trail at Sunset Boulevard with the Bienveneda Trail extension – 4.05 miles
- The loop with the Skull Rock Extension – 3.8 miles
- The loop beginning from Temescal Canyon Trail at Sunset Boulevard with the Skull Rock extension – 4.6 miles
- The loop beginning from Temescal Canyon Trail at Sunset Boulevard with the Bienveneda Trail extension and the Skull Rock extension – 5.25 miles
The hike is not an easy one but can be made more difficult depending on which part of the loop you start on.
If you take a left at the Temescal Canyon Trailhead, which starts on Sunset Boulevard, you will gain the 1,100 feet of elevation much more quickly and will be in for an intense workout.
If you go right the incline will be much more gradual for the majority of the climb with a steep downhill once you have reached the top.
- There is parking located inside of the park but it can fill up quickly so get there early! It costs $7 to park and you will need cash or a check to deposit it into the "Iron Ranger"
- If you cannot find parking in the lots try looking down Temescal Canyon Road!
- The waterfall that used to exists here no longer does because of the drought.
- If you do not want to hike there are a lot of places to have picnics and enjoy the scenery!
The hike is a favorite of most of the locals in the Palisades and worth a try!
- Hiking boot or sturdy running shoes
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
Fitness, Hiking, Photography
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
ReviewsLeave a Review
Favorite Westside Hike
I love this hike. It's long enough and steep enough that I always feel like I got a real hike in (in contrast to some of the westside routes that are more glorified walks than hikes), the views at the top are great (on a clear day), and the terrain varies widely from dry chaparral to lush forest. This hike is so close to the westside, has free and easy parking on Temescal Canyon Road, and when you're done, it's a quick 10 minute jaunt to the Brentwood Country Mart for ice cream.
More Adventures Nearby
Climb at Wheeler Gorge
Los Angeles / Wheeler Gorge Two Tunnels Turnout
Grab a dozen quick draws, your 60m rope, and head up Highway 33 out of Ojai for 7 miles (One of the routes here describes the crag perfectly, a Riparian Daydream).
Hike to Couch Rock
Los Angeles / Shelf Road Trailhead
Driving up Gridley Road away from Ojai you’ll come upon a small parking lot on your left and a gate barring the way to a dirt road.