Hike the Pihea & Alaka'i Swamp Trail
Hawaii › Pihea & Alaka'i Swamp Trailhead
Added by KaRyle Soto
This Koke'e State Park hike takes you through various landscapes with an almost otherworldly look. This is a dream hike for beginners and avid hikers, as well as, photographers.
A strenuous 7 mile hike, depending on which way you start, that takes you from the world renowned Kalalau Valley from Pu'u O Kila lookout, through dense mossy forests, across a stream, up to the highest swamp in the world and ends in views of Kaua'i's north shore of Wainiha valley and Hanalei Bay.
- Sturdy hiking shoes, perhaps extra socks. It's rare you get out WITHOUT soggy/muddy shoes
- A jacket. As it's part of the wettest spot in the world, it rains a lot. It may also be cold in the mornings
- Lots of water
- Snacks or a lunch
- Camera with preferred accessories
- 2WD is fine, if starting from Pu'u O Kila lookout
- 4WD is REQUIRED if starting from the actual Alaka'i Swamp trailhead or from Sugi Grove/Pihea trail
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
Chillin, Hiking, Photography
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
More Adventures Nearby
Cliff Jump from Hawaii's South Point
Hawaii / South Point, Big Island, Hawaii
NOTE: Cliff jump at your own risk and only do so when conditions are great (calm seas, clear skies, good water visibility).
Hike the Aihualama Trail
Hawaii / Manoa Falls Trail
To get to Aihualama trail follow the Manoa Road into the back of Manoa Valley. Manoa Road ends at Paradise Park, continue up the road, through the parking lot, towards the entrance of Lyon Arboretum.