Hike the Pihea & Alaka'i Swamp Trail
Hawaii › Pihea & Alaka'i Swamp Trailhead
Added by KaRyle Soto
This Koke'e State Park hike takes you through various landscapes with an almost otherworldly look. This is a dream hike for beginners and avid hikers, as well as, photographers.
A strenuous 7 mile hike, depending on which way you start, that takes you from the world renowned Kalalau Valley from Pu'u O Kila lookout, through dense mossy forests, across a stream, up to the highest swamp in the world and ends in views of Kaua'i's north shore of Wainiha valley and Hanalei Bay.
- Sturdy hiking shoes, perhaps extra socks. It's rare you get out WITHOUT soggy/muddy shoes
- A jacket. As it's part of the wettest spot in the world, it rains a lot. It may also be cold in the mornings
- Lots of water
- Snacks or a lunch
- Camera with preferred accessories
- 2WD is fine, if starting from Pu'u O Kila lookout
- 4WD is REQUIRED if starting from the actual Alaka'i Swamp trailhead or from Sugi Grove/Pihea trail
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
Chillin, Hiking, Photography
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
More Adventures Nearby
Watch the Surfers at Pipeline
Hawaii / Banzai Pipeline
Getting There: Traveling along the north shore on the Kamehameha Highway you will see signs for the 'Ehukai Beach Park.
Beach Day at Yokohama
Hawaii / Yokohama
Getting There: Traveling from Honolulu, follow signs toward Waianae: the H1 turns into Farrington highway (93) as you reach the west side of the island.