Added by KaRyle Soto
Hike the most scenic mountain stream trail in Hawai'i. It's a short trek along the side of the stream with beautiful, lush views.
Kawaikoi stream trail starts 3/4 mile beyond the Forest Reserve entrance sign on the Mohihi-Camp 10 road & across the stream at "Sugi Grove". It's a DLNR maintained trail, so there's signage & mile markers for the trail.
At 1.75 miles total-roundtrip, it's a very easy walking trail, great for families, especially with small children. The first half follows the southern side of the stream. The upper portion makes a loop, first going inland, then returning on the north side of the stream to reconnect with the first half.
If you're not too distracted by the beautiful surroundings, you will find wild strawberry guava & blackberries to snack on in the winter-spring time ;)
At the starting point, on both sides of the Sugi Grove area, there are picnic areas & compost toilets, which is a nice luxury out in the wilderness. There's NO drinking water/faucets, however.
- 4WD, REQUIRED! To access this trail by driving in. The dirt road over the years has been vastly eroded & damaged in areas.
- If you have 2WD, you will need to walk it in. Park along the side of the road at 0.9mi, starting the count after you've turned into Waineke (dirt) road. BE CAREFUL as it's a narrow, one way road the entire way & about a 3mi walk to get to the Sugi Grove area.
- Hiking shoes/sneakers.
- Water/drinks. As needed, because there is NO fresh/drinkable water.
- Camera (with accessories).
- Swim clothes/Towels. You can swim in the stream & certain areas are deep enough to create a nice "pool" effect. DON'T SWIM IF STREAM IS RAGING &/or FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS were issued.
- It is a sanctioned camping area, with permits, so look into camping!
- It's a year-round trail, but expect more rain in the fall-spring time. Lots of heat/humidity in the summer. Plan & dress accordingly.
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
Backpacking, Camping, Chillin, Hiking, Photography, Swimming
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Beach Day at Yokohama
Hawaii / Yokohama
Getting There: Traveling from Honolulu, follow signs toward Waianae: the H1 turns into Farrington highway (93) as you reach the west side of the island.
Hike the Wiliwilinui Ridge Trail
Hawaii / Wiliwilinui Trailhead
Getting there: Traveling eastbound on the H1, from Waikiki, the H1 becomes the Kalanianaole Highway as you pass the Kahala mall...