Watch the Green Race
North Carolina › The Green Race
Added by Rob Giersch
The Green Race is THE premiere whitewater event of the year. You could never imagine the pageantry of athleticism, energy, and down-right dirt-baggedness that descends upon the Green River Narrows for this annual competition. Those willing to make the hike in will bear witness to an amazing day of triumph and defeat.
On the first Saturday of November the best creek boaters in the world gather at the Green River in North Carolina to see who can storm the Narrows and claim the top title (at least for the next year!). For paddlers, creek boating is a pursuit along tight and narrow steeps that most of us have never heard of. The challenges, both physical and mental when contemplating hucking 40 foot waterfalls 10 miles from the nearest paved road, are seldom celebrated or rewarded outside of your paddling crew.
The Green Race is where this community comes together to compete with each other, but also to celebrate the chaotic beauty of this sport. Racers are started at 1 minute intervals to run the toughest section of the narrows, which includes the dreaded "Gorilla". You spank the Monkey and sometimes he spanks back, but on this day racers are inspired by hundreds of screaming fans lining the banks of the river.
Words can't describe the energy and enthusiasm found at this event. There is absolute competition, but also a bond across this community of boaters and enthusiasts who root for every racer brave enough to make their run.
Just make sure you save some energy for the hike out of the gorge!
There is always a post-race party, but if you want a more relaxed spot to grab a beer try the Oskar Blues Brewery just up the road.
For more information check out the Green Race link.More specific directions as you get on to Big Hungry Road:
- Right on Big Hungry Road (after brick church)
- first Left on Big Hungry Road
- first Right on Big Hungry Road
- DON'T TAKE first Right on Gallimore Road....but continue 3.1 more miles
- Park in unmarked pull-off on rightCross small wooden bridge across creek and follow trail down into the narrows
- Approx. 1.5 miles of mellow downhill (and some uphill after crossing Pulliam Creek)
- Don't take offshoot trails
- Cross two log bridges after crossing creek
- Drop off to the right after large bend around to the left (usually signs and flagging tape, ropes down trail)
- Very steep for about 200 yards
- when you reach the bottom turn right and head upstream to Gorilla
- Water and Snacks for the day
- layers and gore-tex as the weather and temperature can be unpredictable this time of year
- good hiking boots and stamina (that climb out is a bear!)
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
Chillin, Hiking, Photography
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
ReviewsLeave a Review
What dreams are made of.... for the yak-er.
Watch the greatest come have it out with the river. Yak-er's covet the beautiful, fast, and direct Green River. Each year offering some new challenge based on the latest weather conditions. Some of the most challenging lines with very slim margins for error. It'll have your adrenaline pumping. Line after line, boat after boat, hoping that each guy/gal takes the best route or lands that perfect boof. Plenty of areas to set up shop to watch lines and cheer on favorites. Beautiful, slightly steep hike in. Makes for a perfect outdoor adventure in the fall. Also, beware of Sasquatch, as he's been made known to show his appearance :)
More Adventures Nearby
Hike to Raven Rock Falls
North Carolina / Raven Rock Falls Trailhead
If you want to see a great waterfall without hiking all day, this is the perfect trail for you.
Hike Lookout Mountain, Montreat
North Carolina / Lookout Trail Trailhead
Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains is Montreat, North Carolina. Just down the road from Asheville, it neighbors Black Mountain and doesn't disappoint for views.