Added by Anna Arsenault
The Middle Head Trail follows a long, narrow peninsula separating two ocean bays, ending on headland cliffs overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, Cape Smokey and Ingonish Island. There are opportunities to see seabirds, seals, whales and eagles, as well as fishing boats in the early summer.
Open from mid-May until mid-October. A park pass is required for hiking or use of other services in the park. Check in at the Parks Canada Visitor Centres in Chéticamp (16 Visitor Centre Rd., situated on the west side of the park) or in Ingonish (37637 Cabot Trail, on the east side of the park) to obtain passes, information on visitor safety and any other information you may need, including a trail location map.
For your comfort and safety:
- Do not approach, disturb or feed wild animals.
- Take along appropriate clothing - rapid weather changes often occur on the plateau or along the coast.
- Carry water with you, especially for longer trails, climbs or open barrens.
- Bring insect repellent as black flies and mosquitoes are common all summer.
- Mountain bikes are permitted only where indicated, for public safety and protection of the environment.
- Stay on boardwalks to protect fragile vegetation.
- Do not throw food or scraps along the trails or roads.
- Read "Keep it Wild, Keep it Safe" brochure, available at park visitor centres.
- Insect repellent
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Photograph Sunrise at Pinnacles Provincial Park
Canada / Pinnacles Provincial Park
Located just west of Quesnel, Pinnacles Provincial Park is a great place to go for a short walk to a beautiful viewpoint. Park at the entrance of the park and follow the path towards the view points.
Hike the Helmcken Falls Rim Trail
Canada / Helmcken Falls Rim Trail
Wells Grey Provincial Park is home to an abundance of trail networks, towering mountains and rushing waterfalls. The immense Helmcken Falls is arguably the most popular and sought out of these falls.