Capture the Sunset on the Yellowstone River
Wyoming › Hayden Valley
Added by Eric Schuette
- Catch a sunset along the countries largest undammed river
- Enjoy the meadows of the Yellowstone valley, which is full of wildlife and beauty
- There are miles of river access to decide what composition you would like to have (and to stay away from any bears, bison, or other wildlife that have similar ideas)
The Yellowstone river is considered one of the most scenic and beautiful in all of the United States. It's grand canyon, waterfalls, and meadows filled with wildlife are all major attractions and rightfully so as they are all beautiful places.
However, catching a sunset along the meandering river's meadows is truly an incredible experience. It is a very easy walk, although one does need to be aware of the resident bison and bears (as well as the bison patties spread throughout). The meadows are best between the Hayden Valley north of the Sulphur Caldron. Walking along the river, particularly early or late in the day, makes one feel like they have been transported in time back to when these wild places were the norm. It is a rare experience and one certainly worth taking.
- For catching the sunset one should ensure they have a variety of photography gear
- appropriate clothes for walking through meadows
- Bear spray as needed
Are we missing something?Suggest an edit
ReviewsLeave a Review
Love this spot
Hayden Valley is one of my two top spots in Yellowstone. I was just there in September of 2015 and watched a grizzly bear as the sunset. The sunset was beautiful that night and the area is amazing. Highly recommend.
More Adventures Nearby
Hike to Lake of the Crags
Wyoming / Jenny Lake Trailhead
The unmarked trek up to Lake of the Crags is a hidden gem in Grand Teton National Park, unknown or untried by many.
Backpack the Medicine Bow Peak Trail in the Snowy Range Mountains
Wyoming / Lake Marie Trailhead
Take the Snowy Range Scenic Byway to Lake Marie trail head. Lake Marie trail head is the farthest west trailhead and parking area in the immediate Snowy Range Area. Parking in the lot there.