Added by Ben Matthews
Stay in a great backcountry yurt that sleeps up to eight people. This yurt is easily accessible all seasons of the year, but offers great backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the winter.
The yurt is located near the small town of Walden, CO (coordinates: 40 33'57.43"N , 105 59'16.93"W) about two hours west of Fort Collins. In the winter, there are many backcountry ski runs, cross-country skiing, and snowshoeing trails, and even some ice fishing.
In the summer, there's an abundance of hiking trails and even a little bit of fly fishing. To rent the yurt, visit Never Summer Nordic's website. They have many yurts and backcountry huts to choose from. The yurt has a wood-burning stove to keep you nice and toasty during the cold nights, a propane stove for cooking, and an outhouse just outside of the yurt. There are 3 bunk beds with double beds on the bottom and twin beds on top, sleeping a total of nine people. There is no electricity or running water, so bring your headlamps or lantern for the night time and all the water you will need (or melt snow in the winter).
Pack ListWinter Packing List:
Food + Cooking:
- Food (FOR ALL MEALS)
- Beverages (FOR ALL meals)
- Water (SEE NOTE ON CONFIRM. LETTER)
- Coffee & FILTERS, TEA
- Salt & pepper (NOT PROVIDED!)
- Thermal mug—IS NICE!
- Charcoal (TAKE UNUSED BACK HOME!)
- BLEACH SOLUTION FOR SANITIZING DISHWARE/UTENSILS
- Sleeping Bag (warmer the better)
- Gaiters: knee-high, should cover all your laces and fit snugly
- Synthetic underwear: top and bottom; NO COTTON
- Ski pants or knickers: wool or synthetic blends, Gore-tex
- Wind pants: optional, but very nice
- Socks: liner pair and outer pair of heavy wool or blend,at least two complete sets
- Down vest: optional, but very nice
- Sweater: heavy wool or down
- Wind shirt: optional
- Mountain parka: heavy duty, multi-purpose jacket for covering all your garments, lots of pockets and a hood
- Wool hat: (or synthetic) two- one lightweight and one heavy
- Mittens/gloves: lightweight liners (synthetic), heavy-duty mittens and overmits
- Down booties: (or hut scuffs, slippers) handy around the hut
- Scarf or neck gaiter : very handy on cold and windy days
- Sunglasses: or goggles
- Toiletries: comb, handtowel & soap, toothbrush/paste, lip balm,
- Wet wipes/handi wipes: not a bad alternative to a shower!
- Sunscreen: at least SPF 15
- Toilet paper w/ matches: a small personal cache
- First Aid Kit: standard kit of analgesics, moleskin, bandages, tweezers, etc.
- Repair Kit: should include binding screws, screwdriver, bailing wire, spare bale, duct tape, etc.
- Wax Kit: a wide assortment for different conditions
- Camera equipment: batteries should be new
- Firestarter and matches: waterproof container
- Pillow Case and twin or full size fitted sheet
- Feminine supplies
- Tie on/clip on mantles for the kitchen light
- Boots (waterproof)
- Heavy socks
- Liner socks
- Light camp shoes and/or slippers
- Sweater, down vest or parka
- Wool cap & gloves
- Long pants
- Light & medium weight clothes
- Underwear (reg & long)
- Sun hat & sunscreen
- Comb or brush
- Toothbrush & floss
- Insect repellant, WE HAVE FLIES & MOSQUITOS
- First aid kit
- Feminine supplies
- Earplugs-even the best of friends snore!
- Sleeping bag or sheets-no bedding is provided!!
- Backpack & small day pack
- Flashlight & batteries
- Area flashlight or lantern (FOR INSIDE YURT)
- Water bottle
- Water filter or tablets
- Waterroof matches
- Unscented candles only and candles holders
- Maps & compass
- Swiss army knife or leatherman
- Rain gear
- DUCT TAPE-FIXES EVERYTHING!
- Tie on mantles for the kitchen light
Please respect the places you find on The Outbound.
Always practice Leave No Trace ethics on your adventures. Be aware of local regulations and don't damage these amazing places for the sake of a photograph. Learn More
ReviewsLeave a Review
Have you done this adventure? Have something to add? You could be the first to leave a review!
More Adventures Nearby
Photograph Poudre Falls
Colorado / Poudre Falls
To get to Poudre Falls, simply drive up Poudre Canyon on Highway 14, just north-west of Fort Collins.
Hike the Evergreen Mountain Loop
Colorado / Alderfer/Three Sisters Park Parking Lot
The way up Evergreen Mountain is actually a few different trails stitched together throughout Alderfer/Three Sisters Park.