Work for Vail Resorts
Ski/Snowboard School - Non-Certified Alpine Race Coach - Part Time
Afton Alps, MN, US
Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. You're someone who pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. You're brave, ambitious and passionate in everything you do. And we want you on our team. Pursue your fullest potential and never settle in the quest to deliver extraordinary guest service. Join one of the world's 50 most innovative companies as named by Fast Company, and re-imagine a mountain resort experience with us. Welcome to Vail Resorts. Reach Your Peak.
Afton Alps operates a large and successful alpine racing program ranging from weekend recreational development teams for kids and teens to more intensive USSA and FIS racing as well as adult race training. We are looking for qualified coaches so that we can continue to deliver exceptional training and racing experiences to our participants. To be a successful coach, you must have a strong background in racing and be able to demonstrate and teach current free skiing and racing technique in courses.
The Instructor/Coach will provide quality ski race instruction to groups and individuals in a safe and fun manner while upholding all skier safety rules/regulations and Company guidelines.
Successful candidates will be assigned to race programs commensurate with their coaching and racing experience. All race coaches are part of Afton Alps Ski and Snowboard School and may be expected to occasionally coach or instruct in areas or programs other than their primary assignment.Prior to the start of the season, Afton Alps provides training to prospective instructors and coaches. Throughout the season, Afton Alps provides training opportunities, clinics and support for coaches and instructors to seek PSIA or USSA certification.
The Alpine Race Coach position is a part-time seasonal role.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Upholding the highest levels of guest safety on varied terrain with varying winter weather conditions.
- Clearly and accurately instructing assigned levels of skiing to students, both physically and verbally.
- Creating a positive environment for learning and enjoyment of the sport at all times.
- Ensuring that students are matched to appropriate skier skill level and working with supervisors/managers to make appropriate changes when necessary.
- Leading racers of varying levels in training and competitive environments.
- Communicating instructions and helping guests to their feet during a lesson; lifting children by the vest (if applicable).
- Supervising children in class at all times; assisting at lunch and snack times if requested; ensuring return of children to identified guardian.
- Assisting in operational responsibilities of Ski & Snowboard programs including but not limited to registration process, directing guests to appropriate equipment fitting source, upkeep of outdoor teaching areas, and cleanliness of facilities.
- Significant racing and/or coaching experience - required
- Attend new hire training sessions- required.
- Certification - preferred and/or to be pursued.
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and browser applications; basic internet navigation- required.
- Must be fluent in all aspects of the English language (spoken and written)- required.
- Must have excellent guest service skills- required.
- Must have excellent communication skills- required.
- Must work well in a team- required.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather in winter environment.- required.
- Must have sight, speech, and hearing abilities sufficient to learn skills, follow and provide directions- required.
- Must be available to work nights, weekends and holidays - required.
- Experience working with guests of all ages - preferred.
- Previous experience with teaching/coaching/mentoring - preferred.
- Knowledge of local area/resort - preferred.
- Previous experience with teaching/coaching/mentoring children (if applicable) - preferred.
- Epic Pass for unlimited skiing at Afton Alps and all Vail Resorts.
- Discounted Epic Passes for spouses and dependant family.
- Discounted fees for Ski and Snowboard School programs for the coach and dependant family members.
- Free training and support for instructors seeking further skill development and certification.
- Discounts on food and accommodation at all Vail Resorts
- Discounts on summer golf at Afton Alps.
Create incredible experiences for guests at the Midwest’s premier winter destination. In the scenic St. Croix River Valley, this big-time resort with a small town feel has converted thousands of first-timers into lifelong skiers and riders. This truly is where Epic begins for skiers of all levels and can be where your epic career begins, too. Become part of the Afton Alps family. www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 125468
Tourism - Travel
4 months ago