Work for Vail Resorts
Ski/Snowboard School - Freestyle/Twin Tip Coach - Part Time
Afton Alps, MN, US
Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. You're someone who pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. You're brave, ambitious and passionate in everything you do. And we want you on our team. Pursue your fullest potential and never settle in the quest to deliver extraordinary guest service. Join one of the world's 50 most innovative companies as named by Fast Company, and re-imagine a mountain resort experience with us. Welcome to Vail Resorts. Reach Your Peak.
We are looking for experienced freestyle ski instructors to teach terrain park, skier cross and freestyle techniques to both children and adults. The successful applicant will provide quality freestyle ski instruction based on the PSIA/AASI teaching models to groups and individuals in a safe and fun manner while upholding all skier safety rules/regulations and Company guidelines. The successful applicant will be a strong intermediate or advanced skier able to ski safely, in control and demonstrate proper technique on all hills and terrain features at Afton Alps. The successful applicant will consistently demonstrate and communicate his or her passion for the sport and deliver an exceptional guest experience at all times.
Our season runs from roughly Thanksgiving weekend through to the end of March. Instructors are expected to be generally available on a regular basis throughout the season which will probably include working some days over the Christmas break and MLK, Thanksgiving or President’s Day weekends. This is a part-time seasonal position.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Uphold the highest levels of guest safety on varied terrain with varying winter weather conditions.
- Clearly and accurately instruct assigned levels of skiing to students.
- Deliver an exceptional guest experience at all times maintaining the highest level of professionalism.
- Demonstrate flexibility and be willing to work in a variety of areas/programs within the Ski and Snowboard School as required by the business’ needs. Be willing to instruct all ages and abilities of skiers within your capabilities and training.
- Ensure that students are matched to appropriate skier skill level and working with supervisors/managers to make appropriate changes when necessary.
- Assist guests as required such that they receive an exceptional experience. This could include helping guests to load, ride and unload lifts; lifting guests to their feet during a lesson or lifting children by the vest; carry, put on or take off equipment or answer questions about facilities and services.
- Assist in other support activities of Ski and Snowboard programs as assigned by Supervisors. Assist with operational responsibilities of Ski and Snowboard programs including but not limited to registration processes, upkeep of outdoor teaching areas and cleanliness of facilities
- Continue to upgrade your own personal skills through involvement in voluntary training opportunities and/or through PSIA/AASI educational opportunities.
- Several years of experience providing formal instruction in freestyle and terrain park technique in both competitive and recreational programs. - required
- PSIA/AASI or USASA certification or equivalent to a PSIA/AASI Freestyle 1 designation from a recognized alpine ski and boarding national association. - required.
- Must be fluent in all aspects of the English language (spoken and written) - preferred.
- Must have excellent guest service skills- required.
- Must have excellent communication skills- required.
- Must work well in a team- required.
- Must be able to work in inclement weather in winter environment - required.
- Must have sight, speech, and hearing abilities sufficient to learn skills, follow and provide directions- required.
- At least two years of previous ski/snowboard instructor experience - required.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs – required
- Must know and embody the skier/boarder responsibility code – required
- Must ski or ride on contemporary equipment - required
- Experience working with guests of all ages - preferred.
- Knowledge of local area/resort - preferred.
- Epic Pass for unlimited skiing at Afton Alps and all Vail Resorts.
- Discounted Epic Passes for spouses and dependant family.
- Discounted fees for Ski and Ride School programs for the instructor and dependant family members.
- Discounts on summer golf at Afton Alps.
- Free training and support for instructors seeking further skill development and certification.
- Discounts on food and accommodation at all Vail resorts.
Create incredible experiences for guests at the Midwest’s premier winter destination. In the scenic St. Croix River Valley, this big-time resort with a small town feel has converted thousands of first-timers into lifelong skiers and riders. This truly is where Epic begins for skiers of all levels and can be where your epic career begins, too. Become part of the Afton Alps family. www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 125477
Tourism - Travel
3 months ago