Work for Vail Resorts
Mountain Dispatcher - Part Time - Kirkwood
Kirkwood, CA, US
Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. You're someone who pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. You're brave, ambitious and passionate in everything you do. And we want you on our team. Pursue your fullest potential and never settle in the quest to deliver extraordinary guest service. Join one of the world's 50 most innovative companies as named by Fast Company, and re-imagine a mountain resort experience with us. Welcome to Vail Resorts. Reach Your Peak.
The Mountain Dispatcher at Kirkwood coordinates communications during lift opening and closing to ensure a smooth on-time opening/closing of the resort to the public, and keeps key personnel within the resort informed of progress and anticipated delays, as well as coordinates all emergency response situations that may arise throughout daily operations. The Dispatcher will log all lift stoppages, report and communicate all information to appropriate departments, as well as alert proper management of all lift down time and time elapsed as this affects Kirkwood’s compensation policy with our guests.
Responsibilities included, but not limited to:
- Answer all telephone and radio calls in Dispatch; determine nature of calls, gain a firm grasp of Kirkwood’s SOP and ERP, and the ability to prioritize on a daily and emergency basis.
- Following heavy snow storms, the Dispatcher will work closely with and coordinate the efforts of “Snow Safety” Ski Patrollers who engage in avalanche artillery use and explosive hand charge use during early morning avalanche mitigation missions.
- Clearly relay valuable information via radio and telephone to all appropriate and necessary staff members.
- Keep accurate and up to date daily, weekly and seasonal Dispatch logs and other records related to assigned duties.
- Listen carefully to all radios transmissions to stay informed of all activities on the mountain and in valley.
- Become personally familiar with the inner-workings of Mountain Operations to have a clear picture of what is happening while listening to radio transmissions.
- Be prepared to assist with the flow of communication based on awareness and knowledge of known actions and activities.
- Closely work with the Lift Operations Managers, Team Leads and Operators on a daily basis.
- Keep detailed logs during emergency situations as a chronicle for the timing and instances of the event.
- Various administrative tasks and projects. Such as the auditing, servicing and storing of all Kirkwood hand held radio units.
- Closely work with the Lift Maintenance Department to track lift failures, lift downtime and coordinate the evacuation of guests and lift repair when lift stoppage occurs.
- Monitor weather and local road conditions. Expect to be the communication hub for all updates such as lift open/closures, road open/closures, and guest service announcements that may need to be continually communicated.
- Maintain and update on-hill LED signage in village and on mountain, as well as online social media content management tools that continually keep our guests informed.
- Connect externally with Kirkwood Clinic, local hospitals, USFS, county dispatch and Sheriff’s departments such El Dorado, Alpine and Amador County, as well as CALSTAR and CareFlight.
- High School education or equivalent.
- Broad base of general typing, clerical and office management knowledge and skills.
- Ability to multi-task in an effective manner.
- Willingness to gain a greater knowledge of Kirkwood’s ski trails, lifts and mountain operations.
- Ability to come in early on a scheduled or unscheduled shift on heavy snow storm mornings to assist with “Snow Safety Dispatch” and high traffic communication needs.
- Ability to maintain attention to detail while ensuring the safety of our guests and coworkers.
- Capability to learn a wide variety of information about department operations quickly.
- The aptitude to make decisions quickly and calmly in emergent and non-emergent scenarios.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
Kirkwood is for those that embrace the big mountain lifestyle and are as passionate about skiing and riding as they are about creating amazing experiences for our guests. Magical, raw, expansive and remote…Kirkwood is the stuff of legend. We’re famous for legendary snowfall, challenging inbounds terrain, backcountry guided tours and premier avalanche education programs. Those that come here come for an adventure unique to Kirkwood! Join our close-knit team working at one of the most stunning alpine resorts in the country. www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 126547
Tourism - Travel
4 months ago