Work for Vail Resorts
CUSSA Ski Race Coach
Brighton, MI, US
Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. You're someone who pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. You're brave, ambitious and passionate in everything you do. And we want you on our team. Pursue your fullest potential and never settle in the quest to deliver extraordinary guest service. Join one of the world's 50 most innovative companies as named by Fast Company, and re-imagine a mountain resort experience with us. Welcome to Vail Resorts. Reach Your Peak.
CUSSA Race Coach
Mt. Brighton is looking for enthusiastic, positive and high energy individuals to join our team! The CUSSA Race Coach is a Senior Coach who works with upper-level and highly committed athletes. This person primarily prepares the athletes for CUSSA competitions which occur regionally and nationally.
- Upholding the highest levels of guest safety on varied terrain, with varying winter weather conditions.
- Leading groups of athletes through passion and drive for coaching ski racing, including traveling to CUSSA races throughout the state of Michigan (and possible Colorado trip) during 12-14 weekends of the ski season.
- Strategically aligning racers with race courses, including determining the strategy of the race, inspecting the course, detecting the line, and clearly explaining the strategy to all racers.
- Engaging with racers and their parents/guardians using high energy to build and maintain the reputation of Mt. Brighton’s XLR8 Ski Racing.
- Clearly and accurately coaching racers of varying skill levels, both verbally and by demonstration.
- Coach with a focus on the education of the athletes with regards to skiing and racing techniques to improve the athlete’s overall understanding of the sport
- Establishing respect from racers and parents/guardians, by being professional and promoting XLR8 values of good sportsmanship, integrity, honesty and work equals reward.
- Providing the highest level of race instruction using current and cutting-edge USSA /XLR8 techniques.
- Ensuring that athletes are matched to appropriate skill level group and working with supervisors/managers to make appropriate changes when necessary.
- Communicating instructions helping racers to improve performance, with follow up communication to all parents/guardians in a timely manner.
- Work with supervisors to design short and long term racer training and development plans.
- Accurately keeping records of all time, expenses and reimbursements, with timely submission of expense reporting.
- Assisting in operational responsibilities of XLR8 Ski Race Team including but not limited to registration process, directing guests to appropriate equipment fitting source, preparing training plans and coach schedules, upkeep of outdoor racing areas, setting and removing race gates, timing races, and cleanliness of facilities.
- Attends all XLR8 Ski Racing Coaches training sessions
- Assisting guests with transportation of equipment.
- Assisting guests to load and unload the chairlift.
- Completing other duties as assigned.
- Level 100 or 200 USSA coaching certification or PSIA/ Level 2 or 3 certification
- Must have valid Driver’s License
- Must be over 18 years of age; High School or Equivalent Education
- Must be available to travel with limited supervision
- Must have excellent communication skills
- Must work well in a team
- Must have excellent guest service skills
- Must be able to work in inclement weather environment
- Must be available to work holidays and weekends
- Must be fluent in all aspects of the English language (spoken and written)
- Basic knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and browser applications; basic internet navigation
- Experience working with guests of all ages
- Previous experience with teaching/coaching/mentoring
- Previous ski/snowboard coaching experience
- Knowledge of local area/resort
- Previous experience with teaching/coaching/mentoring all age groups
- Must have sight, speech, and hearing abilities sufficient to learn skills, follow and provide directions
- Must be able to lift, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and reach frequently.
Work with a team that’s passionate about providing world-class experiences at one of the legendary Midwest family winter destinations. An easy drive from many southeast Michigan cities, Mt. Brighton is truly the place where Epic begins offering year-round amenities from skiing to golf and mountain biking.Become part of the Mt. Brighton family. www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 127100
Tourism - Travel
6 months ago