Work for The North Face
Materials Manager (Equipment)
The North Face
As a member of the materials team manages the development and commercialization of innovative textiles and materials to enhance the Company’s product lines. Partners with TNF designers and third party companies, suppliers, engineers, and scientists to pioneer technically innovative products. Provides dynamic ideas to positively impact business initiatives, direction, and vision for team and peers. Accountable for business results and executing key initiatives. Brings a track record in innovative materials development.
1. Research, develop and manage the execution of materials for use in the Company’s product lines.
2. Manage strategic partnerships with key innovators within materials industry to deliver final products.
3. Develops, updates, and finalizes selection of tested and approved materials to support RD&D and Product Acquisition functions.
4. Communicate standards to Material Suppliers. Assure that materials are tested and recommend approved raw materials and/or item samples against Outdoor Standards and Buyers intentions.
5. Assist Product Development to initiate, update and maintain specifications that detail the required material performance, specs, and labeling for all materials.
6. Communicate material specifications, results and concerns to RD&D, Suppliers, and QA Teams in a timely manner.
7. Establish and maintain Seasonal Program Materials line lists to support the key design and development functions. Monitor and implement corrective action when needed to assure success and cost effectiveness of selected materials.
8. Travel both domestically and internationally to source materials, evaluate Suppliers, provide education or solve problems.
9. Manages cost negotiations and lead time and delivery details associated with all materials.
10. Perform these and other duties as assigned.
Years of Related Professional Experience: 7+
- BA or BS degree in Apparel, Textiles, Materials Manufacturing, Design (Apparel) or related field and 7+ year’s relevant and progressive experience
- Strong textile apparel materials experience with familiarity and understanding of all phases of product creation and execution including textile lab work
- Strong understanding of apparel merchandising and materials management
- Equipment (i.e. backpacks, tents & sleeping bags) materials development experience preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with and inspire a broad range of individuals to work toward a common goal
VF Diversity Vision Statement
VF is committed to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the differences among all of our associates, customers, suppliers and the communities in which we live and conduct business. The continued success and growth of VF is enhanced through initiatives that promote diversity throughout VF around the world.VF is an equal employment opportunity/ affirmative action employer of minorities, females, protected veterans and the disabled. VF is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, and treating our VF associates and VF applicants without discrimination on the basis of their race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status, HIV/AIDS status, or any other legally protected factor.
4 months ago