Work for Sierra Club
Media Team Internship
San Francisco, California
Are you wondering if a career in public relations, journalism, field organizing, or progressive politics is for you? This internship will offer you a chance to learn about crafting communications strategy, working with reporters, and winning advocacy campaigns.
The Sierra Club's Media Team is seeking an intern in our national headquarters in San Francisco. This is a great opportunity to learn more about communications in the non-profit field, while making an impact on critical environmental issues like climate change, fossil fuels and clean energy, and conservation.
While projects vary depending on the time of year, most interns gain exposure to:
- Pitching stories to the news media
- Writing and editing press materials, reports, and presentations
- Monitoring and compiling Sierra Club media coverage
- Assisting in data analysis and research projects
- Preparing and distributing media props and materials
- Answering media inquiries and responding to the field requests
- Social media and blog outreach
- Building press lists
- Helping design, set up and present media skills trainings
- Brainstorming media opportunities, media strategy, talking points/messaging
- Attending events and hearings
- Providing general support for the Communications team
- Other public relations and communications tasks and individual projects as assigned
The ideal candidate for an internship with Sierra Club is self-motivated, energetic, flexible and a strategic thinker with very strong writing abilities, good organizational skills, understanding of the political system, and a passion for the environment and social justice. Responsibilities will be tailored to personal skills and areas of interest to the best of our ability.
Other qualifications: Current college student or recent college graduate. If you are foreign student, we cannot review your application unless you are part of a program that arranges your paperwork for you -- we cannot arrange an H1B visa.
Media Team Internships start at 3 months in length, with interns working a minimum 20 hours per week, scheduled at their discretion. Internships are unpaid, although we do offer a modest local travel reimbursement. Current students are eligible for a modest scholarship, and academic credit may be available (we are willing to provide any documentation necessary to help students get credit at their college or university).
When applying, applicants should answer the following questions:
- Why are you interested in this position as a Media Intern?
- What would you hope to learn or accomplish?
- What experience do you have working with news media, political organizing or using communication tools to tell a story?
Overall the applicant’s email should include their qualifications and interests, include a resume, and mention "SF MEDIA INTERNSHIP" in the subject header.
Media Team Internships are available during the Winter/Spring, Summer, and Fall terms. Applicants should indicate which internship period they prefer. The deadline for application is April 12 for the summer period, August 24 for the fall period, and November 1 for the winter/spring period.
For more information or if you have any questions, contact:email@example.com
7 months ago