Work for Garmin
Software Engineer 1
Associates get the royal treatment at Garmin. Regardless if you’re a newbie or a veteran, engineers dream it, design it and use it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment (no dress code!) where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
Our mobile development team in Yarmouth, Maine is looking for a self-motivated, confident and passionate Software Engineer to help us create products that solve complex problems and make people’s lives safer, healthier and more enjoyable. At Garmin, our software technology provides an industry-leading combination of performance, quality, value, innovation and ease of operation to help our consumers get the most out of every moment they use our products. We strive for continual innovation, resulting in high-quality, state-of-the-art products aimed at giving our customers an unwavering level of confidence.
A Software Engineer in this role will develop moderately complex software solutions for Garmin’s satellite communication products. In addition to developing software solutions in Objective C, C++, or other selected languages, our Software Engineers perform maintenance activities for products already in production and troubleshoot basic issue reports, reproduce issues and evaluate technical cause and implement and test software solutions.
Other responsibilities for Software Engineers in our mobile group include:
- Develop moderately complex software in Objective C, C++, or other selected languages for Garmin products and/or applications consistently following Garmin’s coding standards and in accordance with applicable software development methodology and release processes
- Utilize software engineering tools such as configuration management systems, build processes, and debuggers in the software development process
- Create and executes designs for small sets of new functionality as part of a software project
- Provide reliable solutions to a variety of problems using sound problem solving techniques
- Perform technical root cause analysis and outlines corrective action for given problems
- Estimate level of effort, evaluate new options of similar technology, offer suggestions to improve processes, and provide comments on some electrical design aspects
- Apply Garmin’s Mission Statement and Quality Policy and enthusiastically exhibit a desire to see Garmin succeed
- Work collaboratively and professionally with other Garmin associates in cross functional teams to achieve goals
- Apply a sense of urgency, commitment and focus on the right priorities in developing solutions in a timely fashion
Other responsibilities include reviewing product and/or application information manuals and brochures for technical accuracy and participating in product definition activities such as feature analysis and system tradeoffs.
Candidates for this role should possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Math or Physics or a technical field (such as CIS or IT) relevant to the essential functions of this job description from a four-year college or university OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience plus a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule with the demonstrated ability to apply learned knowledge.
Qualified candidates will also demonstrate knowledge, education, experience and/or training necessary to develop basic software in Objective C or other selected languages and possess demonstrated strong and effective verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. Candidates experience working in a team environment are preferred!
Our benefits, designed to lead an evolving marketplace, support innovation and encourage a healthy balance between work and life, keep us competitive and allow our associates to make their own decisions about their well-being and future. We offer a choice of healthcare plans—with low or no premiums—which consistently rank in the 90th percentile when compared to other high-tech employers, plus dental and vision plans for you and your family. In addition, our financial benefits rate 82% above the median for technology companies comparable in size. Our 401K retirement plan provides 5% of pay base contribution plus a match of 75 cents for every dollar you contribute to a maximum of 10% of your compensation. The employee stock purchase plan allows for shares to be bought at a 15% discount.
Garmin is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview or hiring process can contact a representative in our human resources department by phone at (913) 397-8200. We will respond to your request as soon as possible.
5 months ago