Work for Garmin
Garmin, the world leader in GPS technology, is looking for an Industrial Designer to join our Consumer ID team. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary group of designers developing products for Garmin’s outdoor, fitness, marine, and automotive markets-- products like action cameras, handheld navigation, marine radars, cycling computers, and wearable technologies.
Work directly with engineering and management to create compelling products for our worldwide customers. Join our growing team with over 20 Industrial Designers in a 35,000 square foot design studio and prototype shop with extensive design and prototyping equipment. We’re looking for industrial designers with the courage to explore new ideas and forms, combined with the ability to collaborate respectfully in a team.
Visit our design directory page for a look at the studio, shop, and to see some of our work: http://www.designdirectory.com/garmin
Position Summary: A Garmin Industrial Designer creates the aesthetic and ergonomic design of consumer products collaborating with Engineering and Management teams to explore, innovate, and execute world-class designs.
- Explore a wide variety of compelling design options through sketching and rendering for Garmin’s consumer product markets
- Understand and apply future trends in design, technology, and materials
- Create 3D models using Solidworks for product development and prototyping
- Communicate concepts and ideas through verbal, visual, and written means
- Understand the needs and desires of our customers
- Collaborate with Design, Engineering, Marketing, and Management teams to translate project goals into relevant design solutions
- Work with a team of prototype specialists to create in-house appearance models
- 2 - 6 years experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, related field, or a minimum of 3 years experience performing a role substantially similar to the essential functions of this job description
- Digital proficiency in the use of tools such as SolidWorks, Keyshot, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, and Sketchbook Pro
- Excellent hand sketching skills (Wacom Tablet experience preferred)
- Ability to rapidly explore a wide variety of styling options (forms, colors, finishes, materials, etc.)
- A passion for design, technology, and an active lifestyle
- Courage to explore new ideas
- Must be team-oriented, possess a positive attitude, and work respectfully with others
At Garmin, we like to work hard and have fun doing it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment with no dress code where sharing ideas and collaboration is encouraged. Garmin believes strongly in a work-life balance so your creativity can flow.
Garmin offers one of the most comprehensive compensation and benefit plans around. We offer extensive health care coverage with little to no contributions, depending on the plan. Plus, we offer dental insurance, stock options, a 401k plan, a pension plan, and much more… trust us, it doesn’t get much better than this. Unless of course, you want to talk table tennis, fitness spaces, product discounts….come on, what are you waiting for? Apply today
In order to be considered, you must email resume and portfolio to email@example.com
EEO/AA/MINORITY/FEMALE/DISABLED/VETERANS RELOCATION ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
Garmin is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants with a disability who require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview or hiring process can contact a representative in our human resources department by phone at (913) 397-8200. We will respond to your request as soon as possible.
9 months ago