Work for Clif Bar
Clif Bar & Company is looking for a PRODUCT DEVELOPER to join our Craft, Quality & Innovation Team.
The ideal candidate will have an immediate connection to our Five Aspirations, as well as embody the “Clif Bar Ingredients” (Create, Inspire, Connect, Own It, and Be Yourself).
This candidate will be extremely flexible and enjoy a “high-change” environment where priorities shift from day to day. Candidates, who connect through positive and respectful interaction, inspire greater success across all Five Aspirations and create extraordinary experiences, solutions and ideas will be at the top of our list.
The Food Product Developer is accountable for supporting and facilitating the process of product development and enhancement by creating new products, specifying proprietary formulas, researching ingredients, products and processes, participating in innovation sessions, supporting the commercialization process and being a team member in projects with external partners. The job holder applies knowledge of culinary practices, food science and the competitive market place in assisting Brand marketing, and other Clif Bar departments to ensure high quality, consumer focused products.
- Lead the development of great products from conception into commercialization. Research novel new processes and ingredients and gain knowledge of the competitive market set, applying both of these to the creation of new products.
- Apply intuitive and learned food science and culinary knowledge to the product development process, create experimental designs, and specify and maintain product formulas based on stated project objectives, costs, nutrition guidelines, ingredient specifications, sensory tests, and consumer panel feedback.
- Collaborate with R&D and Brand team members to craft great tasting products to meet consumer expectations and desires.
- Research ingredients for new products and enhancements to existing products with other team members.
- Perform analytical, sensory and practical tests, and assess different interactions of ingredients to determine best options, while working closely with other groups and departments.
- Collaborate with the bakeries to develop and test formulas and processes that will replicate product development results.
- Make technical decisions and prepare related reports and analyses of risks, opportunities and results.
- Develop finished product specifications for new products, with consideration for special requirements in which Clif Bar plans to distribute its products.
- Prepare and edit final product wrapper information.
- Work with internal partners, covering standard and special product features, nutritional information, and ingredients.
- Once products are commercialized, work with the production facility, and Product Optimization and Food Safety and Integrity teams to insure ongoing performance and quality of the products.
- Resource and/or project management responsibilities as required.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be a genuine Clif Bar & Company ambassador, who exemplifies the Clif Bar culture in all candidate communications and interactions.
- Embody the Clif Bar Five Aspirations and Ingredients.
- Connect – ability to authentically interact and communicate at an individual and group level.
- Have a strong desire to create great tasting foods and be an active participant in innovation explorations.
- Bringing ones best self, take initiative in projects, working independently and collaboratively.
- Good time management and ability to meet project timelines.
Leadership Skills Required
- Take ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions.
- Strong ability to inspire and motivate self and others.
- High ability to adjust to changes with minimal interruption.
- Communicate with internal and external team members in a highly collaborative manner.
- Represent the CQI team in cross functional project meetings.
Technical Expertise Required
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office and ESHA Genesis.
- SharePoint and Power Point ability a plus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with food laboratory equipment.
- Ability to weigh ingredients and run experiments at the Innovation Center, with assistance of staff.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree (Food Science preferred) and at least 4 years experience in food product development.
- Culinary experience and/or culinology education is a plus.
- Experience working in a food production environment is beneficial.
- The ability to perform taste and other sensory tests, such as organoleptic and visual assessments.
Travel Required Approximately 40% travel, both domestic and foreign.
Be Yourself… Take yourself lightly and your work seriously. And…bring your best self to work each day!
Clif Bar & Company is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants of diverse backgrounds to apply.
10 months ago